Monday, September 29, 2014

There's not corn in that...

Every time someone finds out my kids are allergic to corn, they immediately are confused.  They think, thats just no corn on the cob during the fall time.  If that was all then my life really would be a lot simpler.  Then I start listing all the other forms corn takes in foods and they begin to realize it isn't just a simple fix.

Today I thought I would post some common ways that corn is labeled because yes, it is a little confusing!

Corn Starch
Corn Syrup
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Glucose Syrup (This can be from wheat as well)
Maltodextrin (can be tapioca, potato and some others but most commonly corn)
Dextrose (this also can be from other sources)
Modified Food Starch
Powdered Sugar
Baking powder
Corn oil
Corn flour
Xanthan Gum

Of course these aren't all the ways but these are the ones that my kids react to the most.  You may be like me and be surprised that baking powder and powdered sugar contain corn.  It is because they are made with corn starch.  So yes, even if you make it homemade, and you didn't put any corn in, it can contain corn.

Because growing up with an allergy is hard at times, I have had to become really creative so that my kids don't feel left out.  I'm not saying that having a replacement is perfect but it sure helps out a lot!

How do I make it corn free when it calls for something so important as baking powder?  Luckily on the internet there is so much information about substituting.  The best thing I have found is

Baking Powder

1 tsp baking powder = 1/2 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

If you need more than 1 tsp

2 tsp baking powder = 1/2 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp cream of tartar + 1/2 tsp starch (tapioca or potato)

This has worked for my family perfectly.  If you have more than 1 tsp baking powder be sure to add the starch or your baked goods will look like volcanos... SUNK in the middle.  I have also found out that if you add an extra egg to baked goods with more than 1 tsp baking powder, it helps with the structure as well.

Powdered Sugar

1 cup white sugar + 1 tablespoon Tapioca or Potato starch = 1 cup powdered sugar

Add all ingredients into a magic bullet, blender etc and keep on high for 1 min.  Easy as pie!

You can also buy powdered sugar without corn but it is pretty expensive.

I love being able to make things at home for my kids because I know what is in them.  Yes it is more work than opening a package from the store, but it also helps them be aware of what they can and cannot eat so when they get older, it will be a lot easier.

If anyone would like any help with coming up with recipes/ substitutes for common foods, my next post will be common foods corn is found in and what brands don't contain corn.  Enjoy and Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment